Monday, July 27, 2009

1960 Webco Oil Manifold for Triumph Twin

During the 1950's Webco sold the finned sump plate for Triumph engines and the finned valve covers too, but it was not until 1960 that the finned rocker oil manifold was produced.

The 1960 type pictured here had four fins and the name was upside down when placed on the right side of the engine. A good reason to flip your rocker boxes to run the manifold on the left. If you have the Webco float bowl extenders for Amal Monobloc's they stick out on the left as well.

**************************************************

This type of Webco manifold was made for pre-unit engines as well but with a centered oil line. Not exactly sure when this type was first made, but I believe it was around the mid 1960's to replace the original 1960 version.

**************************************************

This Webco manifold dates from the mid 1960's as well and is designed to clear the fins on the unit construction rocker boxes.





Catalog listing from 1968


**************************************************


Pre-unit rocker oil manifold of unknown manufacturer. Somewhat harder to find than the Webco parts. Made of alloy and larger than the Webco version that it resembles.

**************************************************


Recently Identified as MCM. Made of steel.




*************************************************

NOS Wassell rocker oil manifold made in the UK that will fit both unit and pre-unit engines but with some clearance problems on the splayed port dual carb heads. Submitted by Pete from San Diego.

*************************************************
I believe this one from Pete's collection is a UK part as well.

**************************************************

Got any info to ad? Leave a comment!

7 comments:

  1. I found one of the preunit manifolds with 6 ribs (like photo #3) at Stovall Cycles in South Dallas a few years ago. I also found this curved one, paid $40 for both and sold the 6-rib when I found that it wouldn't fit my unit 650:

    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3248/2384433328_025bc0120c_o.jpg

    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/2384433142_9589b14b07_o.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JEB. That rocker oil manifold you have on your bike was made by Randy. They made some far out springer forks with big ol' spike nuts and other chopper parts in the early 1970's. Those Randy manifolds are pretty hard to find, but I do see them come up every once in awhile. I like your custom head steadies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of those curved ones too- I was told it was from the 50's, but I was curious why it cleared the fins on unit rocker boxes. Now I know. Also, How bout the narrow Wassell finned oil feeds? I have one on my bike and an NOS still in the bag. Not sure how to post a pic though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Pete - If you email me pics I'll post them. kustomhut13@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen those early Webco types with the four fins. They look much better than the six I think. I was going to run a six fin but Have one of the Wassell ones I'm planning on running that sounds like what Pete has. Also, that bat-shaped deal that Scott Craig had on the pink and tangerine pre-unit rigid was the same as the one Wes was selling on Ebay recently. Those look pretty interesting though I wouldn't run one personally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I'm retarded, the bat wing one is the one made by Randy in the early 70s. Great info and post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right on Stretch, thanks. Yeah that little ad from 1960 is what straightened me out on the timeline of the Webco manifolds. I like the four fin for 650 motors, but the six fin does look pretty nice on a close pitch fin alloy 500 engine. By the way, thanks for sending the job opportunity to Jonathan (Living Iron & DTMC President). That effort is always appreciated even if it doesn't work out!

    ReplyDelete