Wednesday, September 9, 2009

1963 Hap Jones Catalog

A big time motorcycle parts distributer for decades out of Frisco. Lots of run of the mill replacement parts, but here's a sampling of some of the neat stuff.

The two spotlights at the top are my favorite's for custom headlights. Also called "Sport Headlights" they were used on Outlaw Choppers, Custom Showbikes and Off Road Bikes too. I have a handfull of them I've picked up at swap meets. I don't think I've seen anyone running one on a chopper in the current scene yet (Besides the one I gave Wolf that ended up cracking apart from vibration).

This is the earliest ad for the Avon Drag Slick. The bikes I've seen pictures of with the Avon Slick have all been from '62-'63 too.




The capacities of the Peanut and Banana tanks are always exaggerated.

3 comments:

  1. Two things I'm curious of- when did the M/H Racemaster slick show up? Also, when did the peanut and banana tanks make their first appearances?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that the M/H didn't show up till like 1969 or so. The earliest picture I have of what looks to be a Wassell peanut tank on a custom Triumph is from 1951. Before and during the 1950's the Mustang gas tank was the most popular on Triumph race bikes and customs. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a cool ol rusty hap jones tank that im looking for a gas cap for it. I heard of some guy in ohio with some NOS caps but didnt come up with anything on google. Any ideas. Jared

    ReplyDelete