Monday, August 2, 2010

Old Paint







I found this old Triumph chopper in the back hills of Sonora almost 10 years ago. Unfortunately the guy that built it got killed on it. The springer forks that were on the bike were twisted like a pretzel. The steering head of the frame was pushed over quite a bit so rebuilding the bike as is was not a option. The gas tank and fender paint was amazing to me, but at the time I thought it was too far gone to use. The paint on the frame did not seem to be by the same artist. Slightly different colors and ovbiously not as well planned out. Maybe, maybe not, but the frame just wasn't that impressive. So I pulled the tank fender to keep and parted the rest of the bike. Lots of old paint tanks are being bought these days expressly for the purpose of wall hanging and that's a good thing. These old painted peices are works of art and should be treated as such. If they can be mounted up to another cycle and used again that's even better.




Fast forward some years and after some back and forth emails with Stretch the set is sold by me through Stretch to Mark Drews. Back on the road and arguably on a way better bike. A happy ending!

8 comments:

  1. Nice to see that garb being used again. cool shyeet.
    http://corpsesfromhell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing...I' always crazed about people who can hang onto things like this for ten years...Me? I can't hold onto my own shit for that long...excellent use...and perhaps the original owner approves...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, so that's where it came from! I shot that bike last year for Gasoline Magazine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wasn't that tank the little brother of the tank that was (or is?) on Job's bike?

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES, it is! I've been trying to find pictures of that tank. Know where I can find any? kustomhut13@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The frame! Dear lord what did yoo do with that beautiful frame!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sold it cheap at the Clubman's swap meet!

    ReplyDelete