Saturday, May 8, 2010

Chip Quinn's '53 6T Showbike Project

I recently worked out a trade with Chip to swap the T120 head I posted for a TR6 head he has. He also sent me these pics of this super cool start he has to a rigid frame Triumph showbike project. I gave him my thoughts, and he's asking, so read his story and don't be shy about any comments you might have.
I like this work in progress stuff and as I've stated I'm a supporter of the long term project so feel no shame. Anyone else have a project or a mock-up they'd like to contribute email me some pics to kustomhut13@yahoo.com.









"I am enclosing some pictures of my '53 6T "show bike" project that I am slowly working on. This is the one that I was talking about back at Christmas that I stretched 13/4" in the rear lower rails. Your writing on your dads long term project made me think that it is about time to send some pictures and show what I am up to. This is the definition of "long term"project in it's most extreme. As I slowly find and am able to buy the various parts I want, I add them to the mix. Right now I'm trying to decide two things about it and soliciting opinions - should I run an aluminum front 19" rim and my Avon 2.75 x 19, or should I go with my 21" Akront aluminum rim with a 3.00 x 21? Either way, the hub and brake drum will get chromed, as well as the lowers, (just found some '56 - '57 types this weekend, they'll get shaved and go on soon) triple trees, covers, the whole works. The other big question mark at this time is what about the seat? I have a large rounded, sprung base type, (not sure of brand type) or should I go ahead and make the banana type that is mocked up from chipboard on the frame now? As I said, opinions are being solicited, and my skin is pretty thick, so use these photos as you will. They're not of super quality, but if you want use them on your sight, please do. The others are just kind of a look around my little slice of all consuming hell. I punch louvers for most of the hot rod shops around my part of the country, plus build chassis, wire, and trouble shoot hot rods for my living. Customer stuff always comes first, so my stuff always goes together slow. The background behind my bike is my '29 Ford roadster pick up, and getting it up and functional is next on the list of things to do. The view of the truck and bike is what I see from my press as I work everyday - not too bad! The last picture is of my humble '48 Plymouth, which is my daily driver. Hopped 360 Chrysler, Tremac 5 speed, revised geometry Mustang 11 front end and a bunch of other trick stuff topped with a body easily worth upwards of 500.00 dollars on the open market! Fast and fun, and has been driven the equivalent of to the moon and back in the last fifteen years as a hot rod. Oh, threw a picture of my '61 6T project in here too. It was going to be a Bonneville clone until you ran the pictures of Kepaloa - crap, more stuff to think about! Super long term on that though. One last thing on my '53, a friend said he would love to paint it for me ( his car is on the upper left cover of WORLD OF RODS) so now I have to think about paint schemes Any ideas?"

7 comments:

  1. Prefer the sprung seat myself. None of us are getting any younger so there might well be medical advantages as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool bike. Looks like you got the right parts and the right stance. Doesn't seem to need much other than some finish work. Forgive me for soliciting, but if you have a pair of '57 lowers, I would gladly trade you another nice set to shave. I need the 1957 lowers with the "eyelets" that the brake plate and fender bolts that you're probably gonna shave off. Let me know if you can help. Thanks, Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quaffmeister, I here ya sir! My tailbone was rendered to three pieces in 1980 skating a pool. Frontside air that just didn't work! maybe I should consider practicality! Chip Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  4. The banana seat, all the way. In order to prevent the common clone of the "bobbed" Triumph, which I myself am guilty of most lately. The banana seat is much more period custom, functionality be damned. Try not to smile flying down the road on this thing, kidney damage or no...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm behind 6T's comment about Banana and what comes to wheelsize, man,you just can't beat spindly forks with 21"...

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me , it`s banana seat and 19s both ends . Great project .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys for the input, I truly appreciate it! Chip Quinn

    ReplyDelete